These are the important conditions and exclusions that you need to be familiar with
before you buy your travel insurance policy:
CONDITIONS, LIMITATIONS AND EXCLUSIONS
- You will need to pay by credit card through the secure payment gateway. Once your
transaction is completed, you will receive your policy documents via the email address
that you provide.
- If you need advice, contact Regent Travel Insurance on 0861 900 801 or at
- Your travel insurance policy must be issued before your journey starts and the policy
start and end dates must match your date of departure and arrival back to your country
of residence. You must have a return travel ticket. Cover ends when you return to
your country of residence, even if you return early.
- The maximum travel period that we will provide cover for is 1 year from the date
- Regent can only provide cover for medical expenses to South African residents on
international journeys outside of South Africa.
- Inbound Cover is only for non-South African residents and citizens who are visiting
- There is no medical expenses cover for Local Cover – SA residents travelling locally.
- Cover for medical expenses are provided for EMERGENCY and NECESSARY expenses. If
you are hospitalised or any medical treatment is require while you are abroad you
MUST contact us immediately on +27 11 991 8419. Medical treatment is provided up
to the time that you are stable and a fit to fly is provided by the treating doctor.
If further treatment is still required, you will be repatriated back home for further
- Pre-existing medical conditions cover is provided on certain options of cover if
you are 69 years or younger, but cover is subject to a minimum of 48 hours hospitalisation
and there is no cover for doctors’ visits and medicines. Check the Schedule of Benefits
to ensure your cover of choice provides pre-existing medical expenses cover.
- If you are over the age of 69 years, there is no cover for pre-existing medical
- If you are over the age of 69 years, there is no cover for vascular, cardiovascular
and cerebrovascular (heart and stroke related) conditions.
- Adventure Sports cover is provided up to the age of 69 years, but there are some
activities that will not be covered. Please check the policy terms and conditions
to make sure you are covered for any activities you may participate in or call us
on 0861 900 801.
- Scooter and motor cycle driving is covered provided the engine capacity is below
200cc. You must have a valid motor cycle licence (including when driving a scooter)
and you must wear a helmet. NB: if you are travelling to Thailand, you will not
be covered for medical expenses due to an accident while scooter driving if you
do not meet these requirements.
- There is no cover under the Personal Accident benefit while participating in an
- Pregnancy, childbirth and any pregnancy related conditions are excluded after the
25th week of pregnancy.
- Accompanying, dependent children under the age of 21 years, may be added to certain
products at no additional charge, but will then share the cover limits with the
parents. A maximum of 5 children may be added to a policy for free.
- Children sharing cover means that if the limit of cover for Cancellation of Journey
is R20,000 this limit is shared with the parent and all children.
- Family cover is available on certain products. Family cover provides discounted
rate (10%) for spouses travelling together, each enjoying full cover. Dependent
children under the age of 21 years may be added to the policy for free, but will
then share in cover with the parents. A maximum of 5 children may be added to a
policy for free.
- Children sharing cover on a Family policy means that if the limit of cover for Cancellation
of Journey is R20,000 for each adult, the total limit on the policy is R40,000 and
all family members share in this limit.
- Cover for cancellation for your journey is only provided due to certain events,
- Injury, illness, death (pre-existing medical conditions are excluded);
- Theft or immobilisation of your vehicle while on the way to the airport;
- Your retrenchment 30 days before your date of departure;
- Cancellation or diversion of your flights due to unexpected strikes or industrial
- Unexpected terrorist incidents in a city on your itinerary;
- Theft of your travel documents;
- A traumatic event 30 days before your date of departure.
- Loss of or damage to baggage personal items due to an airline carrier, rail or coach
operator must be reported to them before you leave the terminal or airport and a
written irregularity report must be obtained as proof of the damage or loss.
- Loss of or damage to personal items due to theft or vandalism must be reported to
a local police station within 24 hours of the incident and a written police report
must be obtained that provides us with the proof of the loss or damage to the specific
items. A police case number must be recorded.
- Accidental loss of personal items will only be covered if proof of the incident
(e.g. affidavit) is provided and proof of ownership or purchase is provided.
- Cover for loss or damage to baggage and personal items is limited and single item
limits apply. Please take note of these in your Schedule of Benefits and ensure
that any valuable items are insured on an All Risk policy.
- If you wish to extend your policy while you are abroad, contact us at least 1 week
before your policy expires. If there has been no change in your health (no medical
claims experienced) and the maximum period of cover allowed on the policy will not
be exceeded, we will review your extension, subject to the payment of any additional
- Wilful and foreseen exposure to war and terrorism is excluded.
- A policy may be cancelled before the start of a journey and premiums will be refunded,
provided that a visa has not been approved based on the policy, unless the entire
journey is also cancelled.
- These conditions and exclusions are not exhaustive. Please read the policy terms
and conditions before you purchase your policy. Click here for the full policy terms and conditions.
Not all policies contain all the benefits mentioned below – check the Schedules
of Benefits for a listing of benefits per policy:
EMERGENCY AND MEDICAL RELATED EXPENSES
This essential benefit provides cover for unexpected illness or injury and covers
the emergency and necessary medical treatment. This will cover out-patient treatment,
hospitalisation, evacuation, repatriation and return of mortal remains.
PERSONAL ACCIDENT COVER
This benefit pays out a cash benefit for death or permanent disablement due to an
accident. You are not covered for Personal Accident cover when you are participating
in an Adventure Sport or Hazardous Activity.
Europ Assistance provides some added value assistance services in certain emergencies,
such as cash advances, legal assistance and household assist.
CANCELLATION AND JOURNEY INTERRUPTION
- Cancellation of your insured journey before it starts
- We will cover irrecoverable pre-paid expenses if you cannot travel at all due to
the events mentioned in point 20 above.
- Cutting your journey short after it has started
- We will cover irrecoverable pre-paid expenses if you need to return home early due
to certain events.
- Cancellation due to your visa application being denied
- You must meet all visa requirements.
- Cancellation due to any reason
- Only available on certain products. View the schedule of benefits to check where
cover is available.
- You must buy your policy within 24 hours of paying a deposit for your travel ticket.
- The cancellation must be made more than 48 hours before your booked departure.
- You must not have known about the reason for cancelling when you buy your policy.
- Postponement of your journey
- We will cover irrecoverable pre-paid expenses if you cannot travel at all due to
- Travel supplier insolvency cover
- We will cover irrecoverable pre-paid expenses if you cannot travel due to your travel
supplier (e.g. airline) being liquidated. This does not cover a travel agent who
- Travel delay
- Cover for essential expenses when your scheduled departure is delayed due to strike,
bad weather or mechanical breakdown.
- Missed connection
- If you miss a connecting flight due to the delay of the incoming flight we will
pay for you to continue your original itinerary. You must leave 4 hours between
your incoming and departure flights.
- Natural disaster cover
- If your prepaid accommodation is destroyed due to a natural disaster, we will pay
for the unused accommodation and the additional accommodation expenses for new alternative
BAGGAGE AND INCONVENIENCE COVER
Cover for the theft of, loss or damage to your personal belongings, cash and travel
documents. We also pay for essential items if your baggage is delayed. Single item
limits apply and expensive items should be covered on an All Risks policy.
You must check your baggage and personal items before you leave the terminal and
report any loss or damage to the transport carrier and obtain an irregularity report.
Loss or damage to due theft other than a transport carrier must be reported to the
local police within 24 hours and a copy of the police report must be obtained. The
items lost/stolen/damaged must be included in the reports.
The irregularity and police reports are your proof of the event occurring and proof
of your loss. Without these we cannot assess your claim.
We cover costs if you become legally liable for accidental harm to a person or their
HIJACK OF PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION
This benefit pays out a cash benefit for each full day you are detained under duress
if the public transport in which you are travelling is hijacked.
KIDNAP AND WRONGFUL DETENTION
We pay reasonable fees and expenses as a direct result of your kidnap or wrongful
detention. The cover is only provided under Luxury Leisure Cover and Business Complete
Cover. There is no cover for ransoms or other payments made to the persons holding
you against your will.
RENTAL CAR EXCESS
Reimburses you for the excess you have paid on a rental car insurance claim experienced
during your insured journey. Cover is provided on Luxury Leisure Cover and Business
For an additional premium we will waive all excesses, other than the 48 hour hospitalisation
excess under pre-existing medical conditions cover.
HOW TO CLAIM
Europ Assistance South Africa is our claims assistance partner and manages claims
on our behalf. If you have a medical emergency while you are on your journey, call
Europ Assistance on +27 11 991 8419 immediately and they will assist you.
Non-medical or non-emergency claims can be submitted upon your return back to South
Africa. Contact Europ Assistance on +21 11 991 8419 or e-mail them at
firstname.lastname@example.org . A claim form will be sent to you,
which must be completed and submitted back to this email address along with all
A claim must be submitted to us within 60 days of your return back to South Africa.
I have read the disclosures and the policy terms and conditions and accept the policy
terms and conditions. I would like to proceed to buy a travel insurance policy